To view the President & CEO, Brian Doherty’s News Update, click here (updated quarterly).
Meet our New Director of Education, Laurie Cashman, read her introductory letter here.
To view Martha’s Membership News, see below (updated quarterly).
Martha’s Membership News
In early June the world of leaf and blade and flowers explodes, and every sunset is different. —John Steinbeck
You can feel it in your heart. You can see it in the ground
You can hear it in the trees. You can smell it in the breeze
Look around! Look around! Look around!
June is bustin’ out all over — Rodgers and Hammerstein
June in New England, especially after such a rainy, cold early spring, is so incredibly beautiful that I felt it deserved two quotes in this edition of Member News. I think it is probably my favorite time of year since it is the start of summer in this beautiful region we live in. I’ve lived in Florida and Denver, Colorado and each has its special beauty, but nothing compares to the seasons in New England, especially summer!
We have been BUSY here at Mass-ALA! So much going on and all of it exciting!
On April 23 The Willows at Westborough hosted our second, sold-out, Boot Camp of the year! As always it was so informative and even though I have been to almost every Boot Camp we have hosted in the last two years I always learn something new. Many thanks to Mary Young and Marc Cohen, for being the two presenters at this event. And special thanks to Richard Tavares, Executive Director at The Willows for hosting this Boot Camp.
Our next Boot Camp is scheduled for July 11 and is being held at the Benchmark Headquarters in Waltham. We can take up to 40 attendees at this event and currently 27 people have registered to attend. Don’t wait to register if you have been thinking about going.
Don’t despair if you miss the one in July we have two more Boot Camps coming up this year. They are:
- October 24, Laurelwood at the Pinehills, Plymouth
- December 11, Bridges by EPOCH at Andover
These events are always sell-outs so if there is one in your area don’t hesitate, sign-up now.
On May 14 we held our annual Excellence Awards Dinner and over 500 of you came and celebrated the incredible, caring work all of you do for your communities and your residents. You are the best!
This year’s dinner was so much fun. Scott Zolak, former quarterback with the Patriots was our guest emcee and he told wonderful stories about joining the Patriots and how important the people who work in assisted living have been to him in caring for his elderly father. And THOSE Superbowl Rings, WOW!
We awarded our first, but definitely not our last, Lifetime Achievement Award to Tom Grape, Founder and CEO of Benchmark Senior Living.
Here are some pictures that show just a sampling of all the fun:
Our fabulous volunteers!
Tom Grape accepting his award from Brian Doherty
RiverCourt Residence staff, looking good!
Scott Zolak and Brian sharing a laugh. See the rings?
Upcoming Educational Trainings
- Note – new date and location – Annual Conference and Tradeshow – September 26 – Boston Marriott, Newton
- On May 22 Artis Senior Living of Lexington hosted a wonderful Backyard BBQ and it was a rare sunny, almost summer like afternoon. It was a wonderful time at a beautiful, newly opened community.
Artis of Senior Living of Lexington staff members
- Goddard House Assisted Living in Brookline held a Welcome Breakfast for their new CEO, Candace Cramer. I enjoyed meeting Candace and hearing about the exciting new programs they will be starting over the summer. Plus, I got to meet the chickens!
Resident chicken on the Goddard House farm
- Residents from Providence House located in Brighton attended the Ice Chip Show of Champions at the Harvard Arena where they supported executive director, John Moniz’s, son’s ice club before they headed off to France where they took FIRST PLACE! Congratulations John!
Providence House Residents
Congratulations to Peter MacDonald, Executive Director of Sunrise Assisted Living of Leominster. Peter is the proud, new grandfather to a wonderful baby grandson.
Business Partners News
This edition’s featured Business Partner is Machado Consulting, Inc. and you can read about this Mass-ALA Business Partner member on the front page of The Voice.
We are truly growing!!! This past quarter we welcomed 8 new business partner members to Mass-ALA.
- Baby Boomer Movers – is a small, family owned, local moving company that understands how stressful moving can be. A senior move can be especially difficult both physically and emotionally, and often presents a sense of loss and uncertainty in taking that next step in life. Their goal is to ease the stress of your move and ensure that the process is as smooth and comfortable as possible for all involved. babyboomermover.com
- BELFOR Property Restoration – commercial and residential property damage specialists that provide fast and proven results when disaster strikes. Fires, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, natural or man-made disasters can strike at any time and homes and businesses can be devastated within minutes. BELFOR offers a wide variety of recovery solutions and specialized restoration services and they have been doing it for more than 70 years. https://www.belfor.com/en/us
- Town of Needham Council on Aging – is charged with serving Needham’s 60 plus population and their families, by addressing diverse aspects of aging service interests, concerns and needs. The functions of the department are not confined by walls. They fulfill their mission as a true community partner by delivering programs and services in a variety of places, and wherever it is needed throughout the town. http://www.needhamma.gov/index.aspx?NID=519
- RX2Live – Works with Independent Living, Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing Facilities, Continuing Care Retirement Communities, to help provide better healthcare for Seniors and drive new revenue to the centers. https://www.mass.rx2live.com/senior-wellness/
- BAYADA Home Health Care – has a special purpose to help people have a safe home life with comfort, independence, and dignity. https://www.bayada.com/
- BMS CAT – offers restoration and reconstruction services to customers all over the world. They have helped thousands of clients recover from disasters – both big and small, by providing recovery services to mitigate fire, water and storm damage, we help reestablish businesses and restore communities. https://www.bmscat.com/
- Design to Finish General Contracting – Design to Finish is a family-owned business established in 2004. They provide complete renovation services to any area in the healthcare, commercial, industrial and residential field of construction. On each project, they are continually providing every service necessary to not only obtain complete client satisfaction but also make their services an extraordinary value. http://www.designtofinish.com
- Vantage Healthcare – is a full-service medical practice bringing the doctor’s office to you. They have doctors, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners on staff. Patients will be treated in the comfort of their own residence, assisted living or memory care facility for any problems, conditions, and/or injuries patients would normally go to a primary-care physician. They also offer an online patient portal to keep patients and healthcare proxy up to date on medications, conditions, and upcoming appointments.
We also had a new Assisted Living community join us this quarter. Welcome to
781.622.5999 x110 / MChamberlin@mass-ala.org