I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.”– Henry David Thoreau
I had to laugh when I looked closely at the above photo of pumpkins and then read the quote by Henry David Thoreau. Almost all of the pumpkins seem to be socially distant from each other and these days none of us want to be crowded together on a cushion, velvet or otherwise.
Fall has always been my favorite season, one of new beginnings such as schools starting up, theaters opening their new seasons and the start of fun, family holidays. Even though things have definitely changed they are still starting. Schools are starting, virtually or in-person; some theaters are starting virtual rehearsals for virtual shows. I am hoping to be cast in a virtual holiday show but more about that later (I hope). Visitations at your communities have started and families are having the opportunity to safely see each other again. All of us at Mass-ALA are so impressed at what you are doing to make these visits happen. As a matter of fact, we are impressed with everything you have done and the adaptability you have shown to keep your residents safe but active at the same time. Thank you.
Important COVID-19 Updates
This pandemic has changed how the assisted living industry conducts business and Mass-ALA has worked closely with the state departments of EOEA, DPH and EOHHS to advocate on behalf of ALL assisted living communities in our state. We have also worked to provide you with priority access for PPE supplies including timely updates on where these supplies can be obtained. All of the information we have developed and sent to our members can be found at this site, https://www.mass-ala.org/about/helpful-resources/covid-19/
Assisted Living Communities’ Updates
- Mass-ALA Pre-Provider member, Cedarbrook Village at Ware, is opening up! Their grand opening celebration is September 14th. They are holding a Dash and Dine event, all socially distant and safe. I am looking forward to getting back on the road and visiting this new community.
- Another one of our Pre-Provider members, Artisan at Hudson, is also getting ready to open up in September. They are holding tours of their model apartments. I will be scheduling a visit with them so watch for pictures of these two new communities in the next edition of The Voice.
- Some happy and some sad news. The happy news is that Nancy Crowley, Director of Quality Improvement and Education, has retired after 19 years of working for Senior Living Residences, LLC. The sad news is that Nancy Crowley has retired. Nancy has been involved in the health care industry for 50 years. She has served on several of Mass-ALA’s committees and has also been a presenter at several of our educational trainings. Her expertise, knowledge and wonderful personality will be greatly missed. Happy retirement Nancy.
- Two Mass-ALA member management companies, Deutsches Altenheim and Legacy Lifecare, have announced their affiliation. Deutsches Altenheim, a nonprofit provider of nursing home, assisted living and adult day health services in West Roxbury, and Legacy Lifecare, a nonprofit management resources collaborative that includes Chelsea Jewish Lifecare of Chelsea and Peabody and JGS Lifecare of Longmeadow, announced that the two organizations have reached an agreement to affiliate. By joining Legacy Lifecare, Deutsches Altenheim will benefit from being a member of a system with other nonprofit senior care providers while retaining its name, identity, mission, and governance. Legacy Lifecare has begun providing management services, and the parties intend to finalize the rest of the affiliation, which requires regulatory approval, at the beginning of 2021.
L-R, Adam Berman, CEO & President Legacy Lifecare, Genevieve MacLellan President of Board of Trustees Deutsches Altenheim, Hans P. Birl, Esq. Vice President of Board of Trustees Deutsches Altenheim
Business Partners News
The new 2020 Mass-ALA Business Partner Directory is currently in production and will be sent to you in just a few weeks. This directory contains descriptions of the products and services that our 76-member business partners can provide to you.
- Congratulations to long time Mass-ALA business partner member 2Sisters Senior Living Advisors for achieving an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and being recognized by SCORE (Service Core of Retired Executives) for this achievement.
- Jesse McKellar Music shared a lovely story of how music can truly be good for the soul. Jesse was performing, safely and outside, at a local assisted living residence and one of the audience members had recently lost her long-time cat. She had been sad and unhappy for a while and when she heard Jesse sing, she felt happy and was able to smile for the first time in many days. Thank you Jesse for bringing the healing magic of music.
- Six new Business Partners joined us since our last edition of The Voice:
- Podiatry HouseCalls, Inc. – will travel anywhere in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, providing podiatry house calls throughout New England. Their Doctors specialize in bringing podiatry care to a patient’s place of residence at a time convenient for the person. They specialize in providing quality podiatry in home care to home bound, disabled and visually impaired patients. podiatryhousecalls.org
- Securitas Security Services USA – Securitas serves a wide range of customers in a variety of industries and customer segments. Their protective services, developed together with their customers, are designed to incorporate a high degree of technology content. https://www.securitas.com/
- PPE USA Supply Company – is a top provider of medical supplies, including important PPE supplies to the health care industry. ppeusasupply.com
- Konica Minolta Business Solutions – Konica Minolta is reshaping and revolutionizing the Workplace of the Future™. With their comprehensive portfolio, they deliver solutions to leverage mobility, cloud services, and optimize business processes with workflow automation. Their All Covered IT Services division offers a range of IT strategy, support, and network security solutions across all verticals. kmbs.konicaminolta.us
- BostonbeaN – As well as being the premier provider of coffee, breakroom and pantry service for offices of all sizes in the Boston marketplace, BostonbeaN can supply many important PPE supplies, including Nanoseptic Self-Cleaning products. bostonbeancoffee.com
- Blue Rock International – Blue Rock International LLC provides PPE and systematic solutions so that you can run your business safely and efficiently. We are dedicated to helping businesses comply with the tough environment derived from the COVID-19 pandemic. We have a worldwide network of high-quality medical suppliers and manufacturers, with a special emphasis in North America, from where we source most of our products. Our catalog includes, but is not limited to: COVID-19 tests, gloves, gowns, hand sanitizers, masks, ozone disinfectants, wipes, etc. bluerockinternational.com
We also welcomed a new Pre-Provider assisted living community this quarter
- Sunrise of Newton – this newest member of Sunrise Assisted Living will be opening its doors in the spring of 2021.
Welcome to our new members! We are excited to have you as a part of the Mass-ALA community!
Mass-ALA has a Helpline and a Job Board
I wanted to remind you of two important member benefits provided to you by Mass-ALA.
- The first benefit is the Mass-ALA HelpLine to help you with those questions that pop-up about regulations or procedures at your community. You can reach the HelpLine by calling Mass-ALA at 781-622-5999 x103 and talking with our Director of Education, Laurie Cashman, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or please reach out to me at email@example.com. Each month the HelpLine is covered by an experienced and knowledgeable volunteer from a member community. These volunteers are also RN’s and can answer questions of a more clinical nature. We pass your question along to them and they will reach out to you within a day to answer your question.
- The second member benefit is our Job Board which can be found on the Members Only page of our website https://massala.site-ym.com/Login.aspx?returl. Once you have logged in, click on the Career Center link at the top of the page and follow the directions to post a job at your community. If you need assistance with logging in or posting your job give me a call at 781-622-5999, ext. 110. All jobs that are posted on our Job Board can be viewed by all job seekers by simply going to our website and clicking on Career Search at the top of the home page on our website, mass-ala.org.