To view the President & CEO, Brian Doherty’s News Update, click here (updated quarterly).
To view Martha’s Membership News, see below (updated quarterly).
Martha’s Membership News
I rarely repeat a photo or quote in my membership news but this one is such a favorite of mine that I had to share it again. It always makes me think of three important women to me, my grandmother, my mother and my 96-year old aunt who recently moved into an assisted living community. I have always had such admiration for the care, respect and kindness all of you, who work in this industry, have for your residents. Seeing it on a personal basis has truly been an eye-opener. My wonderful power-house aunt always lived life to its fullest and continues to do so. She is very happy with her new home and friends. Thank you ALL.
On September 26 we held our annual Fall Conference and Tradeshow at the Boston Marriott Newton hotel. This was a new location for this event and judging from the feedback we have received it was a good decision on our part to make this change. We had over 250 people in attendance as well as 55 vendors exhibitors. Thanks to all of you who attended this year.
On November 20 we held our first Dementia Training in three years. This training was also well attended, and the speakers, Mal Allard, Phyllis DeLaricheliere, Jane Fleishman, Karen McCarthy and Noreen Shea were so knowledgeable about dementia and how to work with memory care residents. All of us in attendance came away with much needed and valuable information.
It is Membership Dues Time!
We will be emailing and sending out the 2020 Mass-ALA membership dues in the next week. Please keep an eye out for this information. Please reach out to me, email@example.com, if you have any questions.
Upcoming Educational Events
We have scheduled six of these very popular, always sold-out trainings for 2020. This year we have scheduled them in different regions of the state to make them more convenient for everyone.
Be sure to Save these Dates and registration is open for all six of these trainings. I have placed the registration links conveniently next to each date:
Want to be a Boot Camp Trainer?
We are always looking for people to be a trainer at any of our educational training events. If this sounds like something you or perhaps someone you work with would like to do and are comfortable with speaking to small and/or large groups send me an email, firstname.lastname@example.org and I will be in touch.
We will be planning a Train the Trainer event for the first part of next year and we will be sending out dates and locations regarding this training once we have it planned.
More SAVE the DATES
We have been working hard to get our 2020 Event and Educational Trainings calendar set. Here are some dates for our larger trainings that you will want to put on your calendar:
- April 15, 2020 – Annual Nurses’ Conference – Courtyard Marriott – Marlborough
- May 14, 2020 – Annual Excellence Awards Dinner – DoubleTree Hotel – Westborough
- June date and location to be determined – Regulations Training
- October 1, 2020 – Annual Fall Conference and Trade Show – DoubleTree Hotel – Westborough
- November 18, 2020 – Dementia Training – Courtyard Marriott – Marlborough
We are still in the process of scheduling our annual Regulation Training. We will let you know as soon as we have a date and location.
Business Partners Updates
- Baby Boomer Movers – recently did a move for a disabled, low-income woman who was scared and didn’t want to move. Other people had attempted to help her but failed. Fred Brewer, owner, went and met with the woman and reassured her that her possessions were as valuable to him as they were to her. He moved all her property and even setup her new apartment so when it came time for her to move-in she moved smoothly into her new home. This is one of the many reasons Fred started Baby Boomer Movers, to help those who need it. babyboomermover.com
- SafetyNet Tracking Systems told us about, what they call a “SafetyNet Reserve Save”. This is a when a senior is located but was not reported missing. SafetyNet’s 24/7 Emergency Call Center received a call from local authorities since the senior was wearing a “device” attached to a leather strap on his wrist with “SafetyNet Tracking’s phone number. After a quick search of their database by Call Center Personnel he was IDed as a SafetyNet client and was safely returned to his community.
- NOREL Service Company, Inc. – has once again, for the fourth year in a row, been chosen as a Boston Business Journal Largest Veteran-Owned Business in Massachusetts at #12 in the ranking. They have also been awarded by Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI) as the top national distributor for its Autocall fire detection products. https://www.norelservice.com/
- Machado Consulting has been doing a lot of Free Cybersecurity presentations for our clients but also for different associations and organizations. To find out more about receiving a free Cybersecurity presentation for your community and employees please follow this link https://www.machadoconsulting.com/
- LDS Consulting Service – celebrated their 20th anniversary on November 1, 2019. Serving the senior housing industry has been a big part of their work. http://www.ldsconsultinggroup.com/
- Patrick Flaherty, one of the founding partners of Eisenstein, Flaherty and Associates will be running in the Boston Marathon this spring. This is Patrick’s first marathon and we wish him well. Go easy on the hills Patrick. http://www.eisensteinflaherty.com/
Three new business partners joined us since the September newsletter:
- SafetyNet Tracking Systems is a radio frequency location system (not GPS or cell) which is available for use within your ALF as well as anywhere in MA and RI and portions of 21 other states. Should a resident elope from your community or while attending an off-property event they can be located in minutes. safetynettracking.com
- CCI, LLC Cerretto-Carangelo Commercial Interior Design is an interior design firm specializing in healthcare environments and commercial interiors. Founded in 1986, CCI has been involved with hundreds of healthcare and commercial projects throughout New England and across the country. In addition to their planning and design services, CCI is a major distributor of furnishings and products specifically designed for healthcare and commercial environments. ccillcdesign.com
- Burgess Pest Management – has been in business since 1929. They are in the business of solving problems. As a family-owned business, their reputation depends on delivering the results you deserve. burgesspest.com
We also welcomed a new assisted living community this quarter
- MerriVista Community is in Haverhill Massachusetts
Welcome to our new members! We are excited to have you as a part of the Mass-ALA community!
Did you know that Mass-ALA has a Helpline and a Job Board?
I wanted to remind you of two important member benefits provided to you by Mass-ALA.
- The first benefit is the Mass-ALA HelpLine to help you with those questions that pop-up about regulations or procedures at your community? You can reach it be calling Mass-ALA at 781-622-5999 and talking with our new Director of Education, Laurie Cashman at extension 103, or via email at email@example.com, or me at firstname.lastname@example.org and letting us know what your question is. Each month the HelpLine is covered by an experienced and knowledgeable volunteer from a member company. We pass your question along to them and they will reach out to you within a day to answer your question.
- The second member benefit is our Job Board which can be found on the Members Only page of our website https://massala.site-ym.com/Login.aspx?returl. Once you have logged in, click on the Career Center link at the top of the page and follow the directions to post a job at your community. If you need assistance with logging in or posting your job give me a call at 781-622-5999, ext. 110. All jobs that are posted on our Job Board can be viewed by all job seekers by simply going to our website and clicking on Career Search at the top of the home page on our website, mass-ala.org. Currently there are 12 active job postings on this site.
Wishing all of you a very happy holiday season and a healthy and prosperous New Year. And most importantly THANK YOU for your continuing membership with Mass-ALA.
781.622.5999 x110 / MChamberlin@mass-ala.org